- What is ILLiad?
- Who can use ILLiad?
- How do I get started using ILLiad?
- Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
- Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
- What if I forget my username?
- What if I forget my password?
- What if I get an error message when I try to reset my password?
- What Web browser do you recommend?
- How can I use ILLiad if I don't have Web access or an email account?
- Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
- Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
- Do you still accept requests on the old paper request forms?
- What is Electronic Delivery?
- What should I do if someone else places orders for me?
- Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?
- What does the "Status" of my request mean?
- When will I receive my request?
- Is there an easier way to fill in the ILLiad request form?
- How do I edit a request?
- How do I cancel a request?
- How do I resubmit a cancelled request?
- How do I renew a checked-out book?
- How do I update my email address, phone number, or mail drop?
What is ILLiad?
ILLiad is the Kresge Library's Web-based interlibrary loan service. ILLiad allows you to place and track requests for journal articles and books not available at the Kresge Library, using a Web browser.
Who can use ILLiad?
Current employees, faculty, staff, and students of The Scripps Research Institute, Scripps Clinic, and Green Hospital.
How do I get started using ILLiad?
You must register online the first time you use ILLiad. Go to First Time User Registration to get started. Do NOT register more than once.
Who do I contact if I have problems with or questions about ILLiad?
Contact a Kresge Library staff member at (858) 784-8705 or email email@example.com.
Why do I need a username and password to use ILLiad?
Your username and password allows us to give you secure access to information about your interlibrary loan requests. You can edit your personal information such as your address or phone number.
Your username can be anything you like, such as your name, abbreviations, or an alphanumeric code. Your password also can be anything you like. We recommend that you follow good security practice and choose a password that is different from those you use to access other systems. However, no one but you will know your password, not even the library staff. The password you set is stored in an encrypted file.
What if I forget my username?
Please call the Kresge Library at (858) 784-8705 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
What if I forget my password?
Click on the Forgot Your Password? link on the ILLiad Logon page. Enter your username and an email will be sent to you. Click the link in the email, and set your new password. Then you will be logged into your ILLiad account.
To help you remember your password next time, you can click on Change Password and enter a password hint.
What if I get an error message when I try to reset my password?
If you use the Forgot Your Password? feature to reset your password, and you get an error message (such as "Invalid session id"), then delete cookies from your browser and try again.
- To delete cookies in Internet Explorer: Go to Tools | Internet Options | Delete Cookies | OK | OK
- To delete cookes in Firefox: Go to Tools | Options | Privacy | Show Cookies | Remove All Cookies | Close | OK
Also note that the link in the password reset email is only good for one hour. If it has been more than one hour since you received the email, request another one on the Password Reset page.
If you have further questions, please contact the Library at (858) 784-8705 or email@example.com.
What Web browser do you recommend?
You need a Web browser that can handle forms, tables, and preferrably Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). We recommend the current versions of either Microsoft Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox. In order to use electronic delivery, you must also have Acrobat Reader.
For assistance with installation or upgrading of software, TSRI patrons can contact IT Services at (858) 784-9369. Scripps Health patrons can contact IS at (858) 678-7500 (or #88 on the internal phone system).
How can I use ILLiad if I don't have Web access or an email account?
You must have an email account in order to use ILLiad. Contact the appropriate group within your organization:
- at TSRI: IT Services at (858) 784-9369.
- at Scripps Clinic: To request that a ScrippsHealth email address be assigned to you, call the IS HelpLine at (858) 678-7500 (or #88 on the ScrippsHealth internal phone system).
- at Green Hospital: To request that a ScrippsHealth email address be assigned to you, call the IS HelpLine at (858) 678-7500 (or #88 on the ScrippsHealth internal phone system).
Requests may be entered at the computer workstations in the Kresge Library.
Is security a problem if I use a public workstation?
It can be. Web browsers cache information and create a history file on the local workstation. This allows a subsequent user of the workstation to access the system under your name using the browser's Back button to recall a page from the cache, or by finding a page with your personal information in the browser's history file. If you are concerned about the security of your interlibrary loan requests, you can take the following steps:
- Access the ILLiad system only from your personal computer or an otherwise secure workstation.
- When using a public workstation (including those at the Kresge Library):
- Click the Logoff link in the upper right corner of the screen when you are finished using ILLiad.
- Edit the history file to delete those pages that contain your personal information.
- Exit from the Web browser before you leave the workstation. This prevents the Back button from accessing the pages you were using.
Why don't I see all my older requests when I look at my request history?
Only the requests you submitted after ILLiad was launched on July 1, 2002, will be in the ILLiad database.
Do you still accept requests on the old paper request forms?
No. Interlibrary loan requests may only be submitted using ILLiad. Paper request forms are no longer accepted.
What is Electronic Delivery?
Some libraries send copies of articles to us in electronic format. In the past, we printed these articles and provided you with the paper copy. Now, using ILLiad, we are able to offer you the option of electronic delivery of these articles in PDF format. You can read more about electronic delivery on the Electronic Delivery Information page.
What should I do if someone else places orders for me?
You should set up your account (or have your assistant do it for you) and share your username and password with that individual. ILLiad only allows for one username and password per person, so you cannont maintain two accounts (i.e., one for you to use directly and one for your proxy to use on your behalf).
Why does my browser say that you're sending a cookie? What's in it?
The technology that we use sends a Session ID to be stored on your machine. You can refuse this cookie and still be able to use ILLiad without any problems.
What does the "Status" of my request mean?
- Awaiting Extensive Searching - The item could not be located using our usual interlibrary loan tools. Library staff have set it aside for further investigation.
- Awaiting Request Processing - The request has been submitted and is waiting for ILL staff to process it and request it from another library.
- Cancelled by Customer - The customer has requested that this item be cancelled.
- Cancelled by ILL Staff - All cancelled requests end up at this status (even if they were originally cancelled by the customer). See the "Reason for Cancellation" to determine why the request was cancelled. Usually requests are cancelled because they are available in the Kresge Library.
- Checked Out to Customer - This status means that you have checked out a book from the ILL office. It is important that ILL books be returned by the due date because the lending library may suspend our borrowing privileges if we return books late.
- Customer Notified via E-Mail - You have been sent an E-Mail telling you that an article or book is waiting for you in the Library. Articles are available in the Pick Up box, and books are available in the ILL office.
- Customer Notified via Phone - You have received a phone call telling you that an article or book is waiting for you in the Library. Articles are available in the Pick Up box, and books are available in the ILL office.
- Delivered to Web - These articles can be downloaded as PDFs by clicking on Electronically Received Articles from the View menu.
- Request Finished - Once an article request has been delivered to you, or a book request has been returned to the lending library, the request goes to "Request Finished" status. If you have not yet received the item, it may be on its way to you via campus mail.
- Request in Processing - ILL Staff are working on your request.
- Request Sent - The request has been sent to another library. We have not yet received the item from the lending library.
When will I receive my request?
Article requests are usually received in three to five working days. Books not owned by UCSD take longer to arrive (via U.S. Mail). If you need an item by a particular date, please contact a library staff member to make sure that we can meet your deadline. Rush service may be available for a fee.
Is there an easier way to fill in the ILLiad request form?
YES! Use the SFX button available in the Kresge Library's databases to automatically fill-in the ILLiad request form.
The SFX button provides these services:
- Links to online articles available through Library subscriptions
- Auto-fill of the ILLiad request form
- Cited reference search--see who cited this article (TSRI patrons)
How do I edit a request?
Click on Outstanding Requests under the View heading. Click on the Transaction Number of the request you wish to edit. If the request has not already been sent to another library, you can edit it by clicking on the Edit Request link at the top of the page. Click Submit Request when you are finished.
How do I cancel a request?
Click on Outstanding Requests under the View heading. Click on the Transaction Number of the request you wish to cancel. Click the Cancel Request link at the top of the page.
How do I resubmit a cancelled request?
Click on Cancelled Requests under the View heading. Click on the Transaction Number of the request you wish to resubmit. Click the Resubmit Request link at the top of the page. Make any necessary changes to the request, then click Submit Request.
How do I renew a checked-out book?
Click on Checked Out Items under the View heading. Click on the Transaction Number of the request you wish to renew. Click the Renew Request link at the top of the page.
- The book is not renewed (yet). You have only requested a renewal. Library staff will contact the lending library and request that the book be renewed. We will contact you when we find out if the renewal is approved.
- You may only request a renewal 7 days or less before the due date.
- No renewals may be requested after the due date.
How do I update my email address, phone number, or mail drop?
Click on Change User Information under the Tools heading. Make any necessary changes and click Submit Information.